Thinking About Starting Keto.... Start Here!
Posted on January 14 2021
So you've heard about keto and now you're keen to give it a go, but have no idea where to start? Well lets wrap up all the important info for you in one space!
Keto is really about changing how we view food and what foods help maximize our wellbeing. For so long we have been told by the food industry how we should be eating and that has left many of us unhealthy and confused. So what is so different about keto? Eating real food and staying away from inflammatory foods.
How to start?
Well clean out your cupboards and fridges! To know what should be in your home check out the food lists: Here.
Ok, so you've cleaned out your fridge and pantry... What's next? Well now its time to decide how you want to do your journey of keto. What does that mean? Well there are different ways of doing keto. And as an individual, you need to find out what works for you.... Have a look at this article....Here...
While working out your journey, it would be a good idea to work out what macros you need to fuel your body. What is a macro, you ask? Macro is short for macronutrients and these are carbohydrates, protein and fats that make up your food.
Carbohydrates are stored in the body as glycogen in the liver and muscles. Glycogen is used as a fuel source. Diets high in carbohydrates spike blood sugar levels and over time create insulin resistance which impact or create multiple health conditions such as diabetes.
Protein are made up of amino acids which have a huge task list to carryout within our bodies. Protein helps with the immune system, connective tissue, skin, hair and muscles. Your body can't store protein for energy, it is more to keep everything glued together and working.
Fats are used to regulate your metabolism, improve blood flow and regenerate cells. Fats are essential for the absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K. FYI each gram of fat contain more than twice the energy of carbohydrates.
If you choose to track your macros here is a great macro calculator from Ketogains.
What do you need to remember on your keto journey?
- Everyone is different! Your journey is your own!
- Remember electrolytes! When eating a low carbohydrate diet, we generally need to supplement our electrolytes as we release retained water which can flush salt from our bodies. If our sodium becomes depleted, we will shed potassium and magnesium too.
- Keto flu is common when adjusting to a keto diet.. If you are struggling check out this article.
- Have fun with your new lifestyle! Keto can be fun. Be open to trying new foods and savour the amazing flavours in each meal.
- Don't rush to do intermittent fasting. While adapting to keto it is common to become less hungry throughout the day. This is a sign of fat adaption. Once you reach this stage of your journey, you can incorporate fasting. Fasting prior to fat adaption will lead to you feeling tired, irritable and generally a bit fed up. Be patient and let your body work at its own pace.